The Washington Football team ( 7-9) is headed to the playoffs for the first time since 2015, after clinching the NFC East title last Sunday, despite having a losing record. See below for the full list of teams that have advanced to the NFL playoffs with a losing record. The most recent team from that list was a 2014 Carolina Panthers team that was coached by Ron Rivera, currently the head coach for Washington. Rivera is 2-0 against Buccaneers head coach Bruce Arians in the postseason.
Tune to NBC on Saturday night to see if Rivera can do it again as the Washington Football team takes on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Then, come back on Sunday for a match up between the Cleveland Browns and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Live coverage begins at 7:30 p.m. with Football Night in America. See below for additional information on how to watch the games. Click here for the full 2021 NFL Wild Card Schedule.
Teams that have advanced to the NFL Playoffs with a Losing Record
- 1982 – The Cleveland Browns (4-5, lost their first playoff game against the Raiders)
- 1982 – The Detroit Lions (4-5, lost their first playoff game against Washington)
- 2010 – The Seattle Seahawks (7-9, won their first playoff game against New Orleans)
- 2014 – The Carolina Panthers (7-8-1, won their first playoff game against Arizona)
- 2020 – The Washington Football Team (7-9)
How to watch Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Washington Football Team
- Where: FedExField in Landover, MD
- When: Saturday, January 9
- Start Time: 8:15 p.m. ET kickoff; live coverage begins at 7:30 p.m. ET with Football Night In America
- TV Channel: NBC
- Stream live: Watch online or with the NBC Sports App