SYDNEY — No. 1-ranked Ash Barty says she has withdrawn from the U.S. Open because she is not comfortable with traveling during the coronavirus pandemic.
Barty is the biggest name yet to opt out of the Aug. 31-Sept. 13 Grand Slam tournament in New York because of the global health crisis.
“I will make my decision on the French Open and the surrounding WTA European tournaments in the coming weeks,” Barty said in a statement to Australian Associated Press on Thursday.
Barty won the French Open in 2019 for her first singles major. The clay court major was postponed earlier in the year and is expected to be played after the U.S. Open.