Getty Images

Herbert, Tsonga win semifinals to set up all-French final

Leave a comment

MONTPELLIER, France — Pierre-Hugues Herbert beat former champion Tomas Berdych 6-2, 7-5 Saturday to set up an all-French Open Sud de France final against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

Berdych, who is unseeded at the tournament he won in 2012, dropped his serve three times and failed to convert any of his three break points.

The 27-year-old Herbert has won all four Grand Slam titles in doubles , but is chasing his first singles title on the ATP tour after losing his two previous finals.

Tsonga is in line for his 17th career title after beating Radu Albot of Moldova 6-1, 6-3. Although Tsonga dropped his serve once, he broke Albot’s five times.

The 33-year-old Tsonga, who struggled much of last year because of a knee injury, won his last title in October 2017 at the European Open in Antwerp.

He beat Herbert in their two previous matches.

Tsonga rallies past qualifier to reach quarterfinals in Lyon

Getty Images
Leave a comment

LYON, France (AP) Former champion Jo-Wilfried Tsonga rallied past Canadian qualifier Steven Diez on Wednesday to reach the quarterfinals and extend his perfect record at the Lyon Open.

Tsonga, the 2017 champion, came within two points of losing but finally prevailed 3-6, 7-6 (2), 6-3 on his sixth match point after 2 hours, 42 minutes.

The clay-court event serves as a warmup for the French Open, which starts Sunday in Paris.

“It was good for me to play a long match like this,” Tsonga said. “I haven’t played a match this long for a while. I am not playing my best level, but I am giving everything mentally and that gives me confidence.”

Tsonga will next take on top-seeded Nikoloz Basilashvili, who beat lucky loser Tristan Lamasine 7-5, 7-5.

More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports

Top-seeded Barty withdraws from French Open warm-up event

Getty Images
Leave a comment

STRASBOURG, France (AP) Top-seeded Ashleigh Barty withdrew from the Internationaux de Strasbourg clay-court tournament on Tuesday because of a right arm injury.

Barty was replaced in the main draw by lucky loser Diana Marcinkevica.

The eighth-ranked Australian said she would not take any risk ahead of the French Open, which starts Sunday in Paris.

“I gave it my best chance, but unfortunately I wouldn’t be playing my best tennis,” Barty said. “I’m busy the next two months and I need to look after my body now.”