AP

Federer and Nishikori not among Monte Carlo field

Leave a comment

PARIS — Roger Federer and Kei Nishikori are the only top 10 players not to feature in the list of players for the Monte Carlo Masters, the first big clay-court tournament of the season.

On Thursday, organizers announced the field for the April 15-23 event.

The sixth-ranked Federer has yet to announce his full clay-court schedule, having said he would decide after the Miami Open.

The former top-ranked player won a record-tying fifth title in Indian Wells last week to go with his record 18th Grand Slam title at the Australian Open in January. Federer missed most of last year with various injuries.

Monte Carlo tournament director Zeljko Franulovic says he still hopes Federer and the fourth-ranked Nishikori will ultimately decide to join the field.

Elina Svitolina could miss Wimbledon with foot injury

Getty Images
Leave a comment

BIRMINGHAM, England — Elina Svitolina was eliminated in the second round of the Aegon Classic on Thursday, losing to Italian qualifier Camila Giorgi 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 in the second round.

Svitolina, a 22-year-old Ukrainian who recently broke into the top 10, said a foot injury could force her to skip Wimbledon.

“There is a question about it,” Svitolina said. “I will talk with my physios. The season is very long and I must look at the bigger picture.

“The heel feels painful and is very sensitive. I am disappointed I am out of the tournament but I am not disappointed with my performance, because I could not show even 50 percent. Also the court was slippery which is bad for the foot.”

Giorgi will next face Ashleigh Barty in the quarterfinals.

The Aegon Classic originally boasted seven of the world’s top 10 players, but four withdrew with injuries. It has now lost the two top seeded players who started the tournament, Svitolina and Dominika Cibulkova.

Marin Cilic through to quarterfinals at Queen’s Club Championships

Getty Images
Leave a comment

LONDON — Marin Cilic avoided becoming the latest seeded player to depart early at Queen’s by beating Stefan Kozlov 6-0, 6-4 Thursday and advancing to the quarterfinals at the Wimbledon warm-up event.

The fourth-seeded Cilic is the top player left following the first-round exits of Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka and Milos Raonic – the top three seeded players. Fifth-seeded Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is also out.

Cilic, the 2012 champion at Queen’s, lost only 10 points in the first set and didn’t face a break point in the match against the 19-year-old Kozlov.

“At a tournament like this, we have so many great grass-court players,” Cilic said of the slew of upsets so far at Queen’s. “Considering it’s also one of the first weeks on grass, it’s always very tricky.”

Cilic will play another American, Donald Young, in the last eight.