Rafael Nadal will return from a wrist injury to play an exhibition in late December in United Arab Emirates.
The 14-time Grand Slam champion said Monday on his Facebook page he will compete in the six-player, $250,000 Mubadala World Tennis Championship. The event is not connected to the ATP Tour and will be held in Abu Dhabi from Dec. 29-31.
Top-ranked Andy Murray is also scheduled to play, as is fourth-ranked Milos Raonic. Nadal beat Raonic in the previous final.
Last month, Nadal said he was cutting short his 2016 season to fully recover from an injured left wrist that sidelined him for more than two months this season.
The 30-year-old Spaniard recently missed a tournament in Basel, Switzerland, and last week’s Paris Masters. He also will miss the season-ending ATP Finals that begin Sunday in London.
Nadal said he intensified his recovery to play in the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in August, causing wrist pain in every tournament after that. He won the doubles gold medal in Rio. He lost in the singles semifinals and the third-place match.
Earlier in the year, the injury forced Nadal to withdraw from the French Open before the third round and skip Wimbledon altogether.
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — Total player compensation at the U.S. Open will top $50 million for the first time this year, with a record $3.7 million going to each of the singles champions.
The U.S. Tennis Association announced Tuesday that the total purse for the tournament will be $50.4 million, a nearly 9 percent increase from last year. The previous winners of the final Grand Slam tournament of the season – Stan Wawrinka and Angelique Kerber – earned $3.5 million.
Runners-up will get $1.825 million, up from $1.75 million.
Both the men’s and women’s doubles champions will earn $675,000, the highest in U.S. Open history. A player who loses in the first round of singles at Queens’ Flushing Meadows will make $50,000, an increase of $6,700.
The U.S. Open starts on Aug. 28.
LONDON — It’s not a good idea to turn down Martina Hingis. Jamie Murray is glad he didn’t.
Hingis and Murray won the Wimbledon mixed doubles title on Sunday, beating Henri Kontinen and Heather Watson 6-4, 6-4 on Centre Court.
Murray hadn’t played mixed doubles since the 2016 French Open, but when Hingis contacted him before Wimbledon, he couldn’t resist.
“I mean, the (men’s) doubles for me is obviously my biggest goal of the year,” Murray said. “It’s going to take something pretty special to kind of maybe potentially take my eye off the ball with it.”
The duo had both previously won the title playing with different partners, Murray with Jelena Jankovic in 2007 and Hingis with Leander Paes in 2015.
Hingis, who has won five Grand Slam singles titles, 11 women’s doubles and six mixed doubles, usually gets her way.
“I’m not used to `no,”‘ Hingis said. “No, I don’t take `no’ as an answer pretty much.”
More AP tennis coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/apf-Tennis