Getty Images

Tomas Berdych drops out of US Open because of appendicitis

Leave a comment

CINCINNATI — Tomas Berdych pulled out of the U.S. Open on Saturday, saying he’s been diagnosed with appendicitis and needs time to recover.

The eighth-ranked Berdych lost to Marin Cilic in three sets at the Western & Southern Open on Thursday. He tweeted on Saturday that he was examined in Cincinnati and diagnosed with appendicitis.

“So I will be flying back to Europe for additional checks and treatment,” he wrote on Twitter. “I need to take some time off to recover fully.”

Berdych had his best showing at the U.S. Open in 2012, when he reached the semifinals.

The Grand Slam event also will be missing Roger Federer, who is taking the rest of the season off to rehabilitate a surgically repaired knee. Also, Rafael Nadal isn’t back to full strength after missing two months with an injured left wrist. He returned to the courts, played in the Olympics at Rio de Janeiro, and lost in Cincinnati on Thursday, saying his body was tired and sore from so much tennis after such a long layoff.

Top-ranked Novak Djokovic was upset early in the Olympics and dropped out of Cincinnati because of a sore wrist. Two-time defending champion Serena Williams also dropped out with inflammation in her shoulder.

World Cup of Tennis put on hold for at least a year

Getty Images
Leave a comment

LONDON–The International Tennis Federation is putting off its proposal for a World Cup of Tennis Finals for another year.

The ITF said last month it wanted to combine next year’s Davis Cup and Fed Cup finals into one event to raise the profile of the two national team competitions. But on Thursday, the governing body said it would not put the motion to a vote at its annual general meeting next month in Vietnam.

Other proposals, such as reducing the men’s matches to best-of-three sets and possibly skipping the final match of the series if it is already decided, will still go before member nations for ratification at the Aug. 4 meeting in Ho Chi Minh City.

“We promised change and are already delivering change with a significant series of reforms,” ITF President David Haggerty said in a statement. “Taking another year to build consensus around the World Cup of Tennis Finals will allow us to finalize an even stronger recommendation to the AGM.”

Last month, the ITF said it wanted to start staging the World Cup of Tennis in November 2018 in Geneva. The Swiss city was to host the event for three years at its 18,000-seat Palexpo.

The ITF said then that it had made the announcement of the host city well in advance in an effort to follow the successful model used by the Super Bowl and Champions League final.

But that has now been put on hold as the governing body tries to sell its idea to its voting members.

“This decision shows that we do not act unilaterally,” Haggerty said, “and are working with all our stakeholders to find the best solution for tennis.”

Haggerty also announced the creation of a World Cup of Tennis Finals task force. Board members Katrina Adams and Bernard Giudicelli have been appointed as co-chairs.

“The World Cup of Tennis Finals will unlock considerable new revenue for investing back into the sport through the ITF’s member nations,” Haggerty said. “Investment in the development of the next generation remains the priority of the ITF and its national associations.”

U.S. Open singles champions to earn record $3.7 million

AP Photo
Leave a comment

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — Total player compensation at the U.S. Open will top $50 million for the first time this year, with a record $3.7 million going to each of the singles champions.

The U.S. Tennis Association announced Tuesday that the total purse for the tournament will be $50.4 million, a nearly 9 percent increase from last year. The previous winners of the final Grand Slam tournament of the season – Stan Wawrinka and Angelique Kerber – earned $3.5 million.

Runners-up will get $1.825 million, up from $1.75 million.

Both the men’s and women’s doubles champions will earn $675,000, the highest in U.S. Open history. A player who loses in the first round of singles at Queens’ Flushing Meadows will make $50,000, an increase of $6,700.

The U.S. Open starts on Aug. 28.