Getty Images

Wimbledon Lookahead: Some players still stuck in 1st round

Leave a comment

LONDON — While Novak Djokovic – he of the 30-match Grand Slam winning streak – and Roger Federer can relax and enjoy their places in Wimbledon’s third round, there are more than two dozen players still stuck in the opening round.

That includes eight women who enter Thursday without having played a single point in the grass-court tournament thanks to plenty of rain, among them No. 11 Timea Bacsinszky and No. 31 Kristina Mladenovic.

While every man has at least started his first-round match, 12 head into Day 4 needing to complete those contests.

The top American man, 18th-seeded John Isner, has finished only one full set against Marcos Baghdatis, taking it in a tiebreaker. They are scheduled to resume Thursday – weather permitting, of course – with Baghdatis ahead 3-1 in the second.

Mikhail Youzhny and Horacio Zeballos are also in the second set of their first-round match.

And the list goes on and on.

In all, there are 28 players who are hoping to get out of the first round Thursday.

All of the wet weather wreaked so much havoc with the schedule that the first round of men’s doubles matches were reduced from best-of-five sets to best-of-three.

And the worst news of all? The long-range forecast shows there is a chance of rain every day through next Tuesday.

Here is what else to look for at Wimbledon on Thursday:

MURRAY’S TURN: No. 1 Djokovic and No. 3 Federer got to enjoy the protection of the Centre Court roof Wednesday and completed their matches while there was under two hours of play elsewhere on the grounds. No. 2 Andy Murray gets the same treatment Thursday. He’ll be playing his second-round match against 76th-ranked Yen-hsun Lu of Taiwan. Murray has lost only one match at any Grand Slam tournament to a player ranked that low, and it was more than a decade ago, against No. 91 Arnaud Clement at the 2005 U.S. Open.

WILLIAMS SISTERS: Serena and Venus Williams are scheduled to play doubles Thursday, part of their reunion tour this season before the Rio de Janeiro Olympics. In singles, though, six-time Wimbledon champion Serena gets the day off, while five-time champ Venus, who is seeded No. 8, takes on 115th-ranked Maria Sakkari in a second-round match. Sakkari will be trying to become the first Greek woman to reach the third round at a major since Eleni Daniilidou at Wimbledon in 2005.

BOUCHARD VS. KONTA: Two women who closed out rain-interrupted first-round victories Wednesday are back in action when No. 16 Johanna Konta – the first British woman seeded at the All England Club since Jo Durie in 1984 – faces 2014 Wimbledon runner-up Eugenie Bouchard.

 

World Cup of Tennis put on hold for at least a year

Getty Images
Leave a comment

LONDON–The International Tennis Federation is putting off its proposal for a World Cup of Tennis Finals for another year.

The ITF said last month it wanted to combine next year’s Davis Cup and Fed Cup finals into one event to raise the profile of the two national team competitions. But on Thursday, the governing body said it would not put the motion to a vote at its annual general meeting next month in Vietnam.

Other proposals, such as reducing the men’s matches to best-of-three sets and possibly skipping the final match of the series if it is already decided, will still go before member nations for ratification at the Aug. 4 meeting in Ho Chi Minh City.

“We promised change and are already delivering change with a significant series of reforms,” ITF President David Haggerty said in a statement. “Taking another year to build consensus around the World Cup of Tennis Finals will allow us to finalize an even stronger recommendation to the AGM.”

Last month, the ITF said it wanted to start staging the World Cup of Tennis in November 2018 in Geneva. The Swiss city was to host the event for three years at its 18,000-seat Palexpo.

The ITF said then that it had made the announcement of the host city well in advance in an effort to follow the successful model used by the Super Bowl and Champions League final.

But that has now been put on hold as the governing body tries to sell its idea to its voting members.

“This decision shows that we do not act unilaterally,” Haggerty said, “and are working with all our stakeholders to find the best solution for tennis.”

Haggerty also announced the creation of a World Cup of Tennis Finals task force. Board members Katrina Adams and Bernard Giudicelli have been appointed as co-chairs.

“The World Cup of Tennis Finals will unlock considerable new revenue for investing back into the sport through the ITF’s member nations,” Haggerty said. “Investment in the development of the next generation remains the priority of the ITF and its national associations.”

U.S. Open singles champions to earn record $3.7 million

AP Photo
Leave a comment

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — Total player compensation at the U.S. Open will top $50 million for the first time this year, with a record $3.7 million going to each of the singles champions.

The U.S. Tennis Association announced Tuesday that the total purse for the tournament will be $50.4 million, a nearly 9 percent increase from last year. The previous winners of the final Grand Slam tournament of the season – Stan Wawrinka and Angelique Kerber – earned $3.5 million.

Runners-up will get $1.825 million, up from $1.75 million.

Both the men’s and women’s doubles champions will earn $675,000, the highest in U.S. Open history. A player who loses in the first round of singles at Queens’ Flushing Meadows will make $50,000, an increase of $6,700.

The U.S. Open starts on Aug. 28.