Getty Images

Wilder files $5 million suit over canceled Povetkin fight

Leave a comment

NEW YORK  — Heavyweight boxer Deontay Wilder and promoter DiBella Entertainment have filed a $5 million lawsuit against Russian Alexander Povetkin and his promoter.

Wilder and DiBella filed suit alleging breach of contract Monday in U.S. District Court of New York. Wilder, the WBC champion, and mandatory challenger Povetkin were scheduled to fight May 21 in Moscow but the fight was postponed indefinitely when the Russian tested positive for Meldonium.

The banned substance is a blood-flow drug that historically was used to improve Soviet soldiers’ endurance.

The suit seeks damages of no less than $5 million and names Povetkin and promoter World of Boxing LLC, run by Andrei Ryabinsky. YahooSports first reported the suit.

Wilder was scheduled to make $4.369 million for the fight. He’ll face Chris Arreola July 16 in Birmingham, Alabama.

In a Twitter post Monday, Ryabinsky said: “There will be several of our lawsuits at the start of next week. It’ll be a real rumble.”

The suit said Povetkin was tested three times in early April, but didn’t test positive for the drug until April 27.

Wilder’s camp became concerned that Povetkin might be doping in late March, calling it “highly suspicious” that Povetkin had traveled to Spain, the suit said. Spain, according to the suit, is not traditionally regarded as a place for boxers to train but “is notorius as an epicent of doping.”

Ryabinsky had earlier predicted the Wilder-Povetkin fight “should take place by the end of the year.” Wilder’s promoter Lou DiBella opposes talk of rescheduling before a WBC ruling.

Tennis star Maria Sharapova is appealing a two-year ban after testing positive for Meldonium.

Canelo Alvarez withdraws from May 5 fight with Golovkin

Getty Images
Leave a comment

LOS ANGELES (AP) Canelo Alvarez has withdrawn from next month’s middleweight title fight with Gennady Golovkin, two months after Alvarez twice tested for a banned substance.

The May 5 fight in Las Vegas was to have been a rematch of the draw they fought last September. But on March 5, Alvarez’s promoters, Golden Boy Promotions, announced he twice tested positive for the steroid clenbuterol in February. They blamed contaminated meat, and Alvarez agreed to random drug testing.

It was unlikely the Nevada State Athletic Commission would approve the fight after it temporarily suspended Alvarez, who could face a longer suspension.

Alvarez is to appear before the commission April 18 concerning the positive tests. Golden Boy President Eric Gomez said Tuesday the promoters were advised Alvarez likely would not be cleared to fight May 5.

“I have always been a clean fighter and I always will be a clean fighter,” Alvarez said Tuesday during a conference call. “I want to prove without a doubt that I have never intentionally ingested clenbuterol. I have nothing to hide and I want to be open and transparent through this process. . I have never taken illegal substances and this is no different.”

Golovkin is hoping to fight a different opponent at T-Mobile Arena on May 5, but it won’t approach the huge event that the rematch with Alvarez would have been. It’s possible the two could meet later this year, depending on any sanctions placed on the Mexican fighter.

Golovkin, of Kazakhstan, publicly doubted that tainted meat caused Alvarez’s positive test.

“Again with Mexican meat? Come on,” Golovkin said in March. I told you, it’s not Mexican meat. This is Canelo. This is his team. This is his promotion. … Canelo is cheating. They’re using these drugs, and everybody is just trying to pretend it’s not happening.”

Alvarez-Triple G fight in jeopardy on drug complaint

Getty Images
Leave a comment

LAS VEGAS (AP) Nevada boxing regulators have filed a formal complaint against Canelo Alvarez for doping violations, putting his May 5 middleweight title rematch with Gennady Golovkin in jeopardy.

Alvarez could be suspended for a year for testing positive twice for the performance-enhancing drug Clenbuterol in random urine tests conducted in his hometown of Guadalajara, Mexico, in February.

An April 18 hearing was set on the complaint by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, replacing an earlier April 10 hearing that had been set. The hearing is just two weeks before the fight, making it doubtful the fight will proceed on that date.

Nevada boxing regulations call for a one-year ban for first violations, though it can be cut in half at the commission’s discretion. Even if Alvarez gets a six-month suspension, the fight would not take place until August at the earliest.