Getty Images

Rafael Nadal to miss Wimbledon because of wrist injury

Leave a comment

LONDON —¬†Rafael Nadal pulled out of Wimbledon on Thursday, citing the left wrist injury that forced him out of the French Open.

The two-time Wimbledon champion said on his Facebook page that he made the decision after consulting with his doctor and receiving his latest medical results.

“I won’t be able to play at Wimbledon this year,” the fourth-ranked Spaniard said. “As you can all imagine, it’s a very tough decision, but the injury I suffered at Roland Garros needs time to heal.”

Nadal had already pulled out of next week’s Wimbledon grass-court warm-up at Queen’s Club. Wimbledon, the third Grand Slam tournament of the year, starts on June 27.

Nadal’s spokesman, Benito Perez-Barbadillo, said the player’s wrist will be in a cast for another two weeks. After that, Nadal will begin anti-inflammatory treatments and physiotherapy.

Wearing a brace on his wrist, Nadal pulled out of the French Open before his third-round match in Paris. He said then that he expected to be ready for Wimbledon.

Nadal, winner of 14 Grand Slam titles, won Wimbledon in 2008 and 2010. He was unable to defend his title in 2009 after withdrawing with a knee injury. He was runner-up in 2006, 2007 and 2011.

Nadal has only once made it as far as the fourth round since 2011, including a first-round loss in 2013, along with second-round exits in 2012 and last year.

It’s unclear whether Nadal will be able to play at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in August. He has been chosen as Spain’s flag carrier for the opening ceremony. Nadal missed the 2012 London Olympics because of an injury.

The Wimbledon referee’s office confirmed Nadal’s withdrawal. He will be replaced in the main draw by another Spaniard, Albert Montanes.

Wimbledon also announced withdrawals of Spain’s Tommy Robredo (elbow) and Australia’s Thanasi Kokkinakis (shoulder). They will be replaced by Portugal’s Gastao Elias and Facundo Bagnis of Argentina.

Wozniacki beats Pavlyuchenkova for Pan Pacific title

AP Photo
Leave a comment

TOKYO — Caroline Wozniacki overwhelmed Russia’s Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-0, 7-5 to retain her Pan Pacific Open title on Sunday.

The victory gives Wozniacki, also champion in Tokyo in 2010, her first title of the year. The Dane had lost all six of her previous finals in 2017.

“This was my seventh final of the year – it gets harder to get that last win,” said world No. 6 Wozniacki, who has now won at least one title every year since 2008. “I’ve been putting myself in a position to win all year. It was really important for me to stay focused and positive.”

Wozniacki had crushed world No.1 Garbine Muguruza 6-2, 6-0 in the semifinals and a similar score looked on the cards here Sunday.

“The court suits my game. She plays powerfully so it was important for me to make her move around early on. In the first set everything was going my way. In the second set she served better, so it was tricky for me to break.”

The first set lasted only 20 minutes as Pavlyuchenkova struggled to get a foothold.

“I was really disappointed in the first three games,” said the Russian. “I felt I was a bit unlucky and really believe if I had turned those points round and won the games, it may have been a different match. I was a little down on myself and missed more than I should.”

The Russian fought harder in a second set that went with serve until the 12th and final game.

Yet she failed to earn a break point in the match and appeared outclassed in her first Premier-level final since Moscow in 2015. Semifinal opponent Angelique Kerber was the only seed she faced this week before third-seeded Wozniacki.

“It’s disappointing to lose no matter which round it is, even more disappointing in the final,” said Pavlyuchenkova, who needed three sets to win all four of her matches en route to the final.

“I felt a little flat due to the previous matches. I didn’t have so much energy left.”

Federer beats Kyrgios as Europe wins first Laver Cup

AP Photo
1 Comment

PRAGUE — Roger Federer rallied to beat Nick Kyrgios 4-6, 7-6 (6), 11-9 Sunday and clinch the new Laver Cup tournament for Europe on Sunday.

The three-day competition at Prague’s O2 Arena pitted a team of the best six European players against the top six from the rest of the world.

Seen by some as a tennis version of the Ryder Cup in golf, the inaugural Laver Cup was played on an unusual black hard court.

Rafael Nadal, Alexander Zverev, Marin Cilic, Dominic Thiem and Tomas Berdych also formed the European team, while Sam Querrey, John Isner, Jack Sock, Denis Shapovalov and Frances Tiafoe played for the world.

The tournament is to honor Rod Laver, an 11-time major champion who won two calendar-year Grand Slams.

Chicago will host it in 2018.